FAST TRACK Selective Hydro-Demolition is a process to repair and prepare the total area of deteriorated bridge decks utilizing hydro-demolition equipment that is calibrated to selectively remove unsound concrete from the structural bridge deck slab and to provide a highly rough and bondable surface in the same pass of the hydro-demolition robot. It is an owner’s preferred method of preparing a bridge deck for a new Latex Modified Concrete (LMC) Overlay.
- During calibration of the hydro-demolition equipment, the settings of the hydro-demolition robot are determined so that “selectivity” is achieved. Selectivity is defined as removal of unsound and deteriorated concrete from the structural concrete deck slab with one pass of the equipment. Deeper partial depth areas and even full depth areas which could require additional repairs are also identified during this single pass. Removal of the sound concrete remaining in the deck slab is avoided when the proper “selectivity” settings are achieved.
- Selectivity occurs between 13,000 PSI & 20,000 PSI, when you calibrate hydro-demolition equipment. Anything below or above 13,000 PSI – 20,000 PSI will result in not removing or identifying all unsound concrete. See Standard Specifications.
- For speed of completion the top surface of the bridge deck is rotomilled first exposing cracks and pores in the concrete which allows FAST TRACK Selective Hydro-demolition to become extremely fast and efficient.
- Then the FAST TRACK Selective Hydro-Demolition equipment is calibrated not to remove a specific depth, but to selectively remove unsound concrete and to provide a highly rough and bondable surface for a new LMC Overlay to adhere to for a long term (25-30 years) maintenance free bridge deck surface for the owner and taxpayers.
- Water usage has no function in selectivity. From 20 GPM to 75 GPM, water flow rates are merely a function of speed. The more water you use, the faster the completion time is and time is money to owners and contractors.
- A 4,000 SYS bridge deck can be completed and opened to traffic in one week, which normally takes 6-8 months using conventional impact tools and labor. Total surface FAST TRACK Selective Hydro-Demolition and Very Early Strength Latex Modified Concrete (VESLMC) will perform for 25-30 years of maintenance free service life for an owner under a proper calibration where selectivity is maintained during the hydro-demolition process.